Wake Up Face and a HUGE Update!

This is the look I get when I wake up Burger so I can snap a cute pic of him.  I guess that I would probably give the same look if someone woke me up with a camera in my face.   He looks way cuter than I would, though.  Cats are always camera ready, aren’t they?  No fair!

wake up

Anyway, a couple of updates.

First, on Burger.  He’s still hanging in there, having some really good days (like today) where he’ll eat and drink and play like normal, and some really bad days where he just lays around, eating very little, and sleeps the entire day.  I know he’s getting tired, and I know I’m probably going to have to make this call for him sooner rather than later.  But…there’s a huge part of me that expects him to kick this kidney diseases’ ass.  He’s fought back from everything else he’s been through – FIV, likely being hit by a car (pelvic bone looks like it was broken and healed improperly), getting shot by a BB gun leaving a BB in his ribs, surviving a blood clot, surviving his so many deobstipations…I’m sure there’s even more that I’m forgetting about.  My point being…he’s a fighter.  If anyone can fight this, it’s him.  And I am terrified of giving up on him if he’s not done fighting.  That being said, I would rather let him go a week too early than a day too late; so I’m playing it by ear at this point.  I’ll let him tell me when he’s ready.

Now for the BIG news…

After 9 years, this is going to be my last week working at Greece Animal Hospital.  I have officially accepted a position at Hilton Veterinary Hospital.  This was an extremely difficult decision for me to make.  GAH has been my family.  The clients, patients, coworkers…they have all become my family.  The vets there I have trusted with my pets lives for so many years now, and I have never been let down.  I told my mom today that when it’s Burger’s time, even if I’m working at Hilton I may still have GAH’s hospital director be the one to put him down.  She has cared for him like her own kitty, given him so much TLC and is pretty much the sole reason he has survived as long as he has.  She is the reason that I didn’t put him down a week ago.  She saw more fight in his eyes even when I didn’t.  And since then, he’s had more good days than bad; I am so thankful for each extra minute I have with him, each morning that I wake up to him curled up by my side.

Accepting the position at Hilton was one that I had thought about for awhile.  Ultimately, they made me an offer that was too good to pass up.  It will (hopefully!) allow me to provide for my kitties as I have been, only without going further into debt.  There are also several new things for me to learn at Hilton, which is exciting.  I’m the type of person who loves learning (although was never any good at test taking!) – if money were not an issue, I would take one class every semester for my entire life.  Hilton works a lot in the reproductive field, which I have no real experience with.  They also have a certified dog trainer on staff, and are adding in a therapy/rehab department.  All of those are things that will require a lot of learning on my end, along with any new medications or preventatives they may carry.  Thinking about all there is to learn about is a little overwhelming, but I’m excited for the chance to grow even further in my veterinary field as well.

Friday is my last day at GAH…the day is going to be so bittersweet.  I have grown so close to so many patients, watching them grow older and developing such strong bonds with them and their families…I am going to miss them so much.  My coworkers have been my family, and starting over with a whole new staff is going to be so strange – I don’t even remember what it feels like to be “the new girl”, but I can’t imagine it’s very fun 😛  Luckily, I know a handful of people who work there, so I won’t be completely alone those first few days, haha.

I think that’s about it for today.  A parting word of advice – GET THE SHINGLES VACCINE!  This shit is NOT fun!


2446 Total Views 2446 Views Today

Leave a Reply